To better understand scoliosis, we first have to take a look at the role of the spine.
The spine is the framework of the trunk that:
- Supports the head
- Supports the thoracic cage
- Supports the upper arms
- Is embedded in the pelvis, which is supported by the legs.
Its functions are vital because:
- It protects the spinal cord.
- It allows proper functioning of the lungs and heart.
Its role in locomotion is to:
- allow proper body balance.
- control movement harmony and magnitude.
Finally, in morphology, it assures a good aesthetic of the trunk.